Keeping Your Family Safe From Carbon Monoxide

 

Keeping Your Family Safe From Carbon Monoxide

 

What is carbon monoxide

 

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. In high concentration carbon monoxide, or CO, can be deadly to humans and pets alike. Carbon monoxide is all around us and a natural by-product of combustion.

 

How to protect your home from dangerous levels of carbon monoxide

 

When thinking about carbon monoxide safety make sure you use all of your appliances as directed by the manufacturer. Never use outdoor appliances, such as charcoal or gas grills, inside of your home. Never use any appliance that is not approved for home heating to heat your home, especially gas stoves and portable propane appliances.

Install a UL listed carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home, making sure to test the batteries regularly. In addition to proper usage of household appliances be sure to have them serviced and cleaned by a licensed technician at least once a year. Especially fireplaces, pellet/wood stoves, gas or propane furnaces, and even gas or propane hot water heating systems.

 

What you should do if you suspect carbon monoxide in your home

 

The following symptoms are a good indication that carbon monoxide levels in your home have become dangerously high. These symptoms include:

-Shortness of breath

-Confusion

-Dizziness

-Drowsiness

-Headache

-Fainting

-Irritability

-Rapid or abnormal heartbeat

-Nausea and vomiting

-Unconsciousness

If you or a loved one experience any of these symptoms dial 911 immediately and vacate the home. After you have safely evacuated the home call a service company, such as Hearth & Stove, to repair and maintain the faulty system.

In the case of carbon monoxide prevention is key. If you are unsure of the age, working condition, or last service date of your fuel consuming appliance please give us a call. We would be happy to assist you in keeping your home safe and comfortable no matter what the the season. Hearth & Stove.